If you work for a company, then you probably know what it means to put the company first. When asked what we do we often reply with, “I do [insert job duties] at [insert company name].” In order to demand control over your life, career, and salary you need to make sure you are effectively marketing yourself as well what you do and who you do it for. At the end of the day, we do business with people. We make decisions based on emotions, not logic. Be the person people want to work with.
Here are some branding questions I always ask (altered to refer to a person instead of a product):
- What are my unique qualities?
- Why should should somebody choose me?
- What is my target market?
- How do I build credibility among my target audience?
- How do I effectively reach my target audience?
- What is important to my target audience?
Seth Godin had this to say about the importance of marketing yourself today.